Thursday, August 17, 2017

DRAWING & PAINTING FAUX BRICKS (TROMPE L'OEIL) & TUTORIAL

DRAWING & PAINTING FAUX BRICKS (TROMPE L'OEIL) & TUTORIAL

The builder of this home had one area in the  kitchen that was very plain and needed "something".  Finally he had the idea of painting faux bricks to match the other two real brick walls.  He called me and asked me to paint faux bricks in one area in this kitchen.
So, I did paint faux/trompe l'oeil bricks for him.
Here are three walls with bricks.
Can you tell which two walls are real bricks and which one I painted.
Can you tell which one?
Alright, I'm sure you guessed it.  The butler's pantry was very plain and the builder wanted me to paint the faux bricks to blend with the other two walls.  When you're standing in certain areas of the big living room, you can see all three brick walls at the same time.  So, it was important to make them look the same.
Faux Bricks that I painted.
~
TUTORIAL

First, I used dry spackling and with a broad knife and my finger I lightly textured the area.  Then, I picked out colors to match the existing brick and mortar colors.  I painted over the whole area the grayish grout color. When that dried, I used my brick stencil to get the structure going.  Next, I used a regular brush to stencil the orange brick base coat.  Then, a brush to paint and a rag to rub out an off white, raw umber and black.  It took a while to work on each brick and make them different from each other.  Last, I went back with a brush and painted wider grout lines and wiped it with a rag and smudged out areas on each brick to match the existing real brick walls.
At the very bottom and at the very top I had to make my own bricks because the stencil wouldn't fit in those spots.  But, the bricks are so uneven it's very simple to do.  And, in the corners I lightly brushed some raw umber just so it shadowed a little bit.  Making it look a little more three dimensional.
I think anyone could do this.  
You could paint the wall behind your fireplace, under your kitchen cabinets. a mud room or any place you wish you had bricks.  And, you can use any color.
Have fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment