Monday, August 21, 2017

PAINTING PATTERNS HARLEQUIN~STRIPES~CHECKS

PAINTING HARLEQUIN PATTERN
Painting a harlequin pattern on your wall (or anywhere) will look so smart.  You can draw and paint your pattern any size or any color you want.  Just measure, measure, measure.
There is LOTS of drawing.
I always use a pencil so I can erase any lines I'm not going to use.
HARLEQUIN TUTORIAL

If you want to paint a harlequin pattern on your wall, you first decide your colors.  You can paint a base coat color on  your wall or work with the existing color.  After that dries really well you can start drawing.  You need a pencil, an eraser and a level.  (I love my level!)  Decide how large you want the diamond shape to be.  This client wanted a smaller pattern.  I like the look of a larger pattern than this one.  On an 8' wall maybe stack four harlequins.  If you had no baseboard, each one would be about 24".  But, you have a baseboard and, possibly, a crown molding.  You have to figure and subtract a few inches so they'll fit in your space.  Next you decide how wide you want each pattern to be.  Now you start figuring and drawing.  This is why I use a pencil.  I draw a grid on the wall and erase any lines I don't paint over.  Choose a contrasting color.  Pay close attention to your painting, making sure you skip every other diamond.  I always put a piece of tape on the diamond I WON'T be painting.  You can cut out different size paper patterns and tape them on the wall.  That will give you a better idea about the size you might want.
As I painted each diamond, I wiped the paint with a rag.
(LINK TO)
DRAWING & PAINTING HARLEQUIN PATTERN & STRIPES
TUTORIAL FOR WET BAR HARLEQUIN

The walls in this wet bar were painted white.
I drew my harlequin pattern with a pencil.  When you paint it should cover the pencil marks.
Because it's easy to get confused I always count out and put a piece of tape on every other diamond.  That way I won't start painting the wrong one and, believe me, I have done that. 
As I painted the gold, while it was still wet, I used a rag to rub a lot off.  Especially in the middle.  Then, in the white diamonds I very lightly brushed the metallic gold around the edges so it would look shadowy.  Kind of hard to see in this picture.
At each point where the diamond points met I painted the red circle with my finger.
If you don't want to use your finger you could cut a sponge into a circle and use that instead.
Black and white.  Red fleur d'lis.
Glazed with tea stain antiquing glaze.
Were beige walls.  Used tea stain for glazing.
Make antiquing glaze with raw umber & black added to clear glaze.
Measure slowly.  Stir well.

~

PAINTING STRIPES
STRIPES TUTORIAL

First, I painted the base coat.  The client told me about how wide they wanted the stripes.  I measured around the room and decided how wide they could be.  But, it's important to count the stripes and make sure that when you get to the end, you don't have two of the same color.  Even though I know how to count, I still use my yard stick and go around the room, saying to myself: "pink/orange, pink/orange".  A long time ago when I was painting stripes I had everything measured just perfectly and at the end, I had two of the same color!!!!!  Not sure how that happened, but, that's why I count around the room just making sure there are NO mistakes!  As you're painting, if you see you're going to have a few inches left over or a few inches short, it's ok to start adding or taking away 1/4" or 1/2" to each stripe.  As you're wrapping around a corner, you can cheat a little bit, too.  
It will all come out looking really nice.  
Have fun!! 
(LINK TO)
(LINK TO)
 
(LINK TO)
(LINK TO)
 DISTRESSED AMERICAN FLAG I PAINTED
 Lynda Bergman Decorative Artisan    PAINTING, PAINTING A STRIPE & DISTRESSING FURNITURE FOR PATTI'S BEACH HOUSE
ONE STRIPE IS COOL
(LINK TO)
Parents to-be asked me to paint these stripes in their nursery.
The dad measured and marked where he wanted me to paint the stripes.
Then!  I had to make them match at the fourth corner.
Plan ahead to end your stripes behind the door.
 
(LINK TO)
(LINK TO)
(LINK TO)
~
PAINT A CHECKERED PATTERN
(LINK TO)
I painted and distressed this chest using oil based paint.  
As I painted, I wiped some of the paint off with a rag.
I painted the checkered top with white water based paint.  I made my own stencil and stenciled and painted the black checks.  After stenciling, I did use a tiny brush to define the edges and corners.  It was still a bit uneven, but that is the way I wanted it to be.  I wanted it to look hand painted.  On the feet I didn't use a stencil.  I chose a small flat brush the size I wanted the checks to be and painted from sight.  No perfection here!

No comments:

Post a Comment