Friday, December 29, 2017

HOW TO HAND PAINT LIGHT FIXTURES & CHANDELIERS

HOW TO HAND PAINT LIGHT FIXTURES & CHANDELIERS

Several times through the years I have been asked to paint light fixtures/chandeliers.  Some fixtures look dated, but still have a good design.  Many times, painting the fixture can beautifully update it.
I'll show you pictures of some of the light fixtures I've painted.  For the finishes I used craft paints and house paints.  If the paints are acrylics like the craft paints or an eggshell or washable flat paint I don't usually seal them with a clear sealer.  If the client wants a sheen or shiny finish I will seal them with a low sheen or satin sealer.
This fixture was a contemporary design.  The finish was shiny brass and pewter.  My client wanted it to look old and rusty.  I used layers of off white, dark brown and rusty colored paint.  I blotted the rusty color here and there to look like rust.  My client had off white fabric shades and dipped them in tea to darken and age them.
~
The fixture below was a dark green.
 My client purchased a huge new chandelier to go in her kitchen.
She wanted me to paint this one with similar colors and technique.

 This is her fabulous new chandelier.  
You can see the colors and technique.
HERE IS A LINK TO THAT POST WITH MORE INFORMATION
~
Image result for Lynda Bergman hand painting light fixtures chandeliers
The finish on this really beautiful chandelier was too shiny and too brassy for my client.  
I used metallic paints, but a little darker.  I used a tiny brush to apply the paint.  Had to be very careful not to get paint on the crystal base.  She removed all of those crystals before I painted.
~
I faux painted these walls in a powder room. 
My client wanted the light fixture to be similar. 
 I used a metallic silver paint and aged it with a dark brown paint.
~
(red "before")
My client got a new front door.  She asked me to paint her exterior light fixtures darker to better match her new door.  For a tutorial on how I painted these light fixtures, 
VISIT THIS LINK 
~
My client's home had rustic/old Texas/old Mexico decor.  She had several dark iron chandeliers.  A couple of them had iron leaves.  I was doing other painting in her home and her decorator asked me to paint the leaves on the chandeliers a metallic silver.  The leaves are all I painted and it looked very nice.  Dark, rustic with the metallic silver and crystals.
~
This is an old brass chandelier that I painted.
The birds love sitting on it.
~
You can paint your light fixture or chandelier any color you want. 
 Picture in your mind how an old one would look if it were painted. 
 I bet you will be amazed!

No comments:

Post a Comment